Like hundreds of others in 2020, the past several months have been a convenient time to do home updates, redecorating, and various home improvements…cleaning out the basement, landscaping, minor home repairs, etc…for me, the most fun of all this has been updating wallpaper in three rooms…:-)
You saw a sneak peek of the monkey wallpaper, now let’s take a look at all the before and afters!
GUEST BATHROOM – BEFORE:
Nothing wrong with this paper – after ten years it was just time for a change!
GUEST BATHROOM – AFTER:
Welcome to Barbados! Haha! Definitely a non-traditional, dramatic look…
With more colors in the print it will now be fun to experiment with towels…as for new bathroom accessories, an espresso wicker tissue box and a bronze monkey candle holder, both found online…
MASTER BATHROOM – BEFORE:
The brand of this paper slips my mind, but I must say that I truly loved it – had it not been for several areas starting to lift from the wall I may not have made a change…
MASTER BATHROOM – AFTER:
Old Hollywood glamour with feathers on a background of metallic gold dots! Darling, would you pass me a fresh towel! 😉 Definitely bolder, makes me want a fur-trimmed bathrobe and slippers! (Peter says no. Hahaha.)
This old leopard robe will have to do…
This paper: Paul Poiret by Schumacher…ordered from Decorator’s Best…moved the mirrored tissue box from the guest bath to this room, better with the glamorous theme…on the hunt for a sexy, ‘glam’ print to update what’s here now…
Ok, last but not least…
DINING ROOM – BEFORE:
This was the room I was most nervous about changing because it was in perfect condition and I loved it…BUT – there are so many beautiful options, why not try something new, something a bit more interesting….
DINING ROOM – AFTER:
While this room was warm and cozy before, it definitely went up a level in elegance!
And since the basic color scheme remained the same, the window treatments did not need updating…
And our custom upholstered dining chairs still looked perfect – actually even more visually interesting than before… this paper is by Milton and King, ordered from Burke Decor. While I was most apprehensive about changing this room, it actually is my favorite of all three!
- Take your time exploring, and don’t order anything without getting a sample first. If one company does not offer samples, find one that does!
- Ginger lesson: don’t be afraid of bold colors and/or patterns.
- Especially in a smaller home, consider the flow of color/print from one room to the next.
- Despite what you might think, dark papers can make small rooms look bigger. Dark paper also adds instant warmth.
- If you don’t LOVE it, keep looking…
- You need not do your whole house in wallpaper; do a bedroom or a study and see how you like it!
- Yes, wallpapering is way more costly that painting a room, but the results are incomparable. What’s more important than loving your home?
- Need a second opinion on a paper choice? ASK ME! 🙂
- Use a professional wallpaper hanger. We used Jeff Giordano from Belmont, MA; someone local recommended him and not only did he do a great job, but he was extremely prompt and reliable. He can be reached at 617 489-2795.
What’s YOUR experience with wallpaper, if any? Was there wallpaper in your home as a child? Any interest in giving it a try?
Stay well. Live well. Enjoy the NOW.